North Cape (Nordkapp)
On July 6th, on the way to Hunningsvag, we passed North Cape (Nordkapp). Nordkapp is often inaccurately referred to as the northernmost point of Europe. However, the neighbouring Knivskjellodden Cape actually extends 1,450 m (4,760 ft) further north. Both of these points are situated on an island (Magerøya).
Once we had docked in Honningsvag, there was a shore excursion to the cape itself. I hadn't booked it and, in hindsight, I wish I had as there is a statue there marking the cape and lots of people had their photos taken from what I'd seen but I also heard it was cool and very windy! Here are a couple of photos of it I downloaded.
The scenery as we slowly approached the cape was stunning and I could see all of it from my veranda. However, I decided to go up to one of the upper decks to get a better view where I found quite a party atmosphere! There was a talented saxophonist playing, some people were swimming in the pool, and hot and cold drinks were being served; and everyone was taking pictures.
Once we had docked in Honningsvag, there was a shore excursion to the cape itself. I hadn't booked it and, in hindsight, I wish I had as there is a statue there marking the cape and lots of people had their photos taken from what I'd seen but I also heard it was cool and very windy! Here are a couple of photos of it I downloaded.


I remember that Jens and I felt the same as you must have, when close to the North Cape. We were camped at Alta, 250 km south, and thought to ourselves: everyone goes up there, why should we? But, we bit the bullet, drove there on July 8th in 2014, to celebrate my husband's birthday, were astounded at the number of mobile campers parked there, took the obligatory photos, and drove back. We were even more astounded at the number of tour buses heading up, presumably to see the 'sunset' etc. We were glad we saw it, but had also felt the cold wind. It is definitely a tourist spectacle and probably much overrated. The Lofotens are coming up for you: much more spectacular! I am glad to read your blog and hope the weather clears up a bit for you. Cheers Bev
ReplyDelete